Vermont Superintendents Association
Vermont Principals’ Association
2 Prospect Street
Montpelier, Vermont 05602
To: Members of the Vermont Superintendents Association
Members of the Vermont Principals’ Association
From: Jeffrey Francis, Executive Director, Vermont Superintendents Association
Ken Page, Executive Director, Vermont Principals’ Association
Re: Reminder of Principal Mentoring Requirement for New Principals and Technical Education Center Directors
Date: June 1, 2015
Act 20 of 2011 is now almost four years old, and the rate of principal turnover seems to be declining. Rather than 80-100 openings, which we saw then, we now see closer to 50 principal openings. So, thank you for helping to support our building leaders.
Since this is a critical time when new leaders are being hired and plans are being made for the next year, we want to encourage you to put plans in place early to insure a good start for your new leader. To note:
- The Vermont Principals’ Association will again be offering training for Mentors this summer in Montpelier on August 12-13-14. Contact Ken Page at 1-802-229-0547 to learn more about this. http://www.naesp.org/mentor
- The choice of the mentor is ultimately yours, but we encourage you to pay attention to the match; to that end VPA Mentor coordinators will send you resumes of mentors in your region and will discuss with you your particular needs
- Remember, mentor is not coaching. See Mentor Competencies: http://bit.ly/1QfPnAp
- General rule: Supervisors who evaluate performance should not also serve as the principal’s mentor
- VPA really wants to know if mentoring makes a difference, so please let the VPA know who is mentoring your new leader: email@example.com
In August of 2014, Secretary Holcombe issued a reminder memorandum to superintendents of Act 20, in which she wrote:
If you have any questions about the program, the mentoring requirement, or anything pertaining to Act 20, please don’t hesitate to contact one of us.
Regards, and respect for the work you do.
Jeffrey D. Francis Kenneth J. Page