The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Since 1920, The National Federation of State High School Associations has led the development of education-based interscholastic sports and activities that help students succeed in their lives. We set directions for the future by building awareness and support, improving the participation experience, establishing consistent standards and rules for competition, and helping those who oversee high school sports and activities.
The NFHS, from its offices in Indianapolis, Indiana, serves its 50 member state high school athletic/activity associations, plus the District of Columbia. The NFHS publishes playing rules in 16 sports for boys and girls competition and administers fine arts programs in speech, theater, debate and music. It provides a variety of program initiatives that reach the 18,500 high schools and over 11 million students involved in athletic and activity programs.
The National Federation of State High School Associations serves its members, related professional organizations and students by providing leadership for the administration of education-based interscholastic activities, which support academic achievement, good citizenship and equitable opportunities.
- The NFHS is the recognized national authority on interscholastic activity programs.
- Interscholastic activity programs enrich each student's educational experience.
- Participation in education-based activity programs promotes student academic achievement.
- Student participation in interscholastic activity programs is a privilege.
- Interscholastic participation develops good citizenship and healthy lifestyles.
- Interscholastic activity programs foster involvement of a diverse population.
- Interscholastic activity programs promote positive school/community relations.
- The NFHS is the pre-eminent authority on competition rules for interscholastic activity programs.
- National competition rules promote fair play and minimize risks for student participants.
- Cooperation among state associations advances their individual and collective well-being.
- Properly trained administrators/coaches/directors promote the educational mission of the interscholastic experience.
- Properly trained officials/judges enhance interscholastic competition.
The NFHS Network captures the passion, pride, and energy of the high school experience by delivering live high school sports and events to family members and fans whenever they want, wherever they are.
The NFHS Network celebrates and showcases the unique accomplishments of students, whether they are a student-athlete participating in the 27 different sports covered by the Network, or one of the student broadcasters from schools around the country that produce events through the School Broadcast Program. The NFHS Network also features state playoff and championship events for the 34 state members of the NFHS Network.
All NFHS Network events are available online at www.NFHSnetwork.com as well as iPhone and Android mobile apps. Follow the NFHS Network on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram at @NFHSnetwork for the latest news and event information.
The NFHS Network is a joint venture among the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), its member state associations and PlayOn! Sports. The NFHS is located in Indianapolis, Indiana and is the national leadership organization for high school sports and performing arts activities. PlayOn! Sports is based in Atlanta, Georgia and is the nation’s largest high school sports media company.